Cam's Kitchen

Cam's Kitchen
My Grandaughter in her first kitchen

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Craftbar - a highlight of restaurant week

900 Broadway
New YorkNY 10079
(212) 461-4300
Love it ! Rating dating scale. This is ...oh my gosh this could be my next really long term relationship. Or we have entered into the friend zone.  
Craftbar is Craft's informal sister-restaurant, where Chef Tom Colicchio applies the same philosophy of simple food derived from the finest ingredients, to casual dining. 
Tom was not there when Jen and I went for lunch. 
First I love that you can easily find this place. Huge banner hanging outside on Broadway. 
It's ajacent to ABC Carpet and Home Store...the place you go to drool and wish you could afford to redecorate or win the lottery. 
Also across is Fishs Eddy's the best place to get plates and kitchen stuff that you actually can afford and can't pass up buying. I love my huge Brooklyn platter. 
Greeting is done by 2 lovely very thin girls. Friendly, sweet and warm. The bar is lovely.Above it is a wall of wine the kind that you climb up a ladder type staircase. Beautiful.
A nice simple warm decor. clean and refreshing. 
Service was comfortable. The prices are moderate and worth every penny. 
We did the winter restaurant menu..started with Pecorino Risotto Balls, Spicy Tomato, yum yum yum.
My main dish was the Veal meatballs. Jen had the pork belly.
I wish I had the Pork belly. Our server said both are her favorites. I always get pork belly. As much as Jen and I go do Finer Things. We try to order different dishes so we can try each other's. 
Diners get dish envy. I try new things, but wish I had ordered what my instincts tell me. 
Remember when Lucy went to dinner with Ricky, Fred and Ethel. They would ask her what she wanted first. She would choose the chicken. Then Ethel would get the pork chops and Lucy would change her's to pork chops. Fred would get the pasta then Lucy would change her order to pasta. Ricky would order Steak. Lucy would switch to steak. 
Then end up with the chicken. 
The veal was good...but it sure wasn't pork belly. 
Jen's pork belly sat on a bed or mashed potatoes. So creamy it looked like pudding. 
We both had the brownie topped with walnut ice cream. The ice cream was fine, but the brownie was dry and tasteless. 
Really Tom ? This is what always screws up the Top Chefs. That damn dessert challenge. 
All in all...I love this place. The food, the atmosphere. 
I had been to Craft restaurant, around the corner from craftbar. 
One of the best experiences I've had in NYC. 
It was about 2 or 3 years ago. A friend who seems to come in and out of my life happened to pop back in. 
My birthday just passed so we made a date. He was taking me to Craft. I wasn't all that interested in him. But he was pleasant and well...as my friend Bashy says "at least you can get a nice meal out of it". 
Sad when we start dating for food. 
I was to meet him at 9 at the bar. I came from work. Sat at the bar. Ordered a wine. no date. Ordered another glass of wine. still no date. 
The bartender was lovely. Service at Craft is also welcoming. A little snotty...the crowd is filled with foodie types and wannabees. Young professionals named Tad and Mindy from Long Island. The kind that go to wine tastings and think now they know everything there is to know. Not that there's anything wrong with it. I know the type. You know the type. 
Just drink the damn wine...after 6 glasses you can't tell what you're drinking. 
As I realized i was being stood up. I decided to stay and order my meal at the bar. 
This was before Finer Things was discovered and who know's when I would get a lovely meal. 
Damn it, I'm an independant fabulous woman of the city. I can take myself out for a lovely meal. 
I had the quaile. It was recommended by the bartender. 
Taste like chicken. 
Still a nice meal and I was feeling quite proud that I conquered one of my fears of eating alone at a nice restaurant without a book. 
Behind me were 3 men talking about their place they were opening. Obviously they were in the restaurant biz and scoping out Craft for ideas. 
As I got up they asked if my seat would be free. I said yes and as I gathered my coat I asked where they were opening their place. 
Shock appeared and they said, oh you over heard us ? I said...well i was sitting right here and you weren't whispering. 
They asked about my quaile. I said it tasted like chicken. The head chef guy said it was cooked to perfection. The solmier guy asked me to join them for a drink. 
Then I accepted and a few hours later found out I had a tasting meal with with the new owners of Proof. A lovely new restaurant in DC. 
I now have some new friends in DC. Someday I will go an do a Proof review.
I hear it's doing well and they're opening another place soon, also in DC. 
This was the day I discovered Chipollini onions. Tom Colicchio does them the best. I try to get them wherever I see them. 
Oh he adds them in the pork belly. another reason to always order the pork belly. 
I also have a secret crush on Tom. Sorry Bobby Flay...maybe its the bald head. 


No comments:

Post a Comment