Cam's Kitchen

Cam's Kitchen
My Grandaughter in her first kitchen

Monday, February 1, 2010

Salt...not just a condiment

Salt is a lovely place at 58 Macdougal Street. NY NY. 212-674-4896. a small intimate Soho restaurant just below Houston. 
It was a Thursday night. This was the 21 Club week. Winter restaurant week in NYC. I needed to wash my memory of the not so good...actually horrible. worse than my mother's worse dish kinda meal. My mother, rest in peace, wasn't a bad cook. In fact while growing up we thought she was an amazing cook. This was a time when Mom's stayed at home. They were housewives. Homemakers. Betty Crocker. This was the Julia Child era of Food network. My mom prider herself on her casseroles. 
Every woman on the block had an amazing collection of Casserole dishes and jello molds. 
How many things can you put in a casserole...and if they were all stay at home Mom's why did they always make so casseroles and freeze them ? Were those PTA meetings really that long ? How many days can you play Marjhon.
It was tuna casserole...meat casserole. I think one time she was experimenting and made a fish casserole. It wasn't even a real fish. I think it came from a can...wait..that might have been the tuna. Or salmon in a can. Not until i met my jewish soon to be mother-in-law did I realize salmon didn't come from a can. Nor was Spam not a specialty food. But that's a different story.
I grew up on Long Island...melting pot of the suburbs. 
We were on the corner of a block that had jews on one side (not strick jews, since they never corrected our canned salmon) and German immigrants on the other. 
The next block were African American's...and Italian's the block after. 2 block's over were the polish immigrants...we always smelt cabbage.  The religious jew's, or the one's that went to temple and would speak yiddish lived in the nice part of town...On Birch. I was on Holly Ave. 
All the mother's would make casserole and jello molds. 
Jello with fruit...pineapple...pears. mandarian oranges...my mother stuck carrots in her's. 
Why ?? I don't know. But it looked pretty. It would be a green jello with orange shredded carrots. It looked like Italy. 
Nevertheless...21 Club could have served us carrot lime jello in a mold shaped like a salmon. It would have been better than the chocolate cake that stuck to the plate. 
So Thursday Jen and I ventured to Salt. We passed it a few times and had it on our list of cute little neighborhood places we should go when we have a sucky week of bad food. 
It was the coldest day this winter...i think it was 2 degree's. 
I had the cream of cauliflower soup...THIS WAS AMAZING !!!! The kind of soup you dream about. 
The kind of soup I would request for a last meal.
It was warm and creamy and salty and had these lovely mushroom's on top. everything about it was perfection in a bowl.
My entree was the Pork Belly. Lovely on a bed of greens ( I think Kale) and Mashed potatoes. I also had grilled brussell sprouts. 
I love grilled brussell sprouts. Brussell is such a nice name. If i were to have another child I think i might name him Brussell...Bruiser for short...or Russ...but no. That sounds like a guy with fluffy hair and polo shirts and cardigan sweaters. Not that any of that is bad. But it doesn't sound good either. Bru...I would call him Bru. Like a beer. that could be cool. He would be fun, everyone's friend. But also tough and edgy at the same time. Look tough on the outside but like a bulldog...just sweet with droopy eyes. 
Pork Belly was yummy. Huge portion...had to take half of it home. Potatoes...ultimately creamy. melt in your mouth, buttery and seasoned perfectly. 
greens were nice. 
The Grilled Bru sprouts were quite yummy. Even better the next day. 
All in all Salt is one of my favorite cute places to go. I do recommend it. Price point...nice. moderately priced. 
Service was lovely. Comfortable neighborhoody type place. 
The bathroom has the smallest sink in all of NYC. 
I will gladly go here again and again and again. I called on Saturday to see if they would deliver the soup...they do not. They do make food to go and have a Salt Shop...not sure what is in the Salt Shop but you can check the website. PS...there isn't any salt on the tables. 
http://www.saltnyc.com/
Rating: Great date, would see him again. Perhaps, he's the one kind of place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment