Cam's Kitchen

Cam's Kitchen
My Grandaughter in her first kitchen

Saturday, February 20, 2010

I JUST LOVE THIS CITY

The closeness of New Yorkers always amaze me. I was walking  down Bleecker from Christopher Street on my way to the bar. 
Behind me is a couple that appeared from a nearby apt. building. I'm thinking first date. He doesn't plan ahead...not a good sign. He has no idea where to go. She suggests Cafe Habana. I perk up since this is one of my favorite places of all in NYC. Small cafe with very few tables and a small counter. The food is cuban home cooking. Pork is amazing....ah but the corn. the corn. I am pasting the menu for your convenience...but be sure to get the corn. 

Soup of the Day ... 4.50 

Grilled Corn Mexican Style ~  Served with chili powder, lime & cotija cheese ... 3.95 

Sopesitos ~  A sampler of corn cakes topped with black beans, cotija cheese and 3 different salsas ... 6.95 

Taquitos Caseros ~  2 home style tacos your choice of 1 of the following: grilled steak, chicken or roast pork ... 7.50 

Sincronizada ~  Small black bean & sun dried tomato tortillas and Mozarella cheese and avocado ... 6.95 

Sincronizada Toluca ~ Small black bean & sun dried tomato tortillas with Mozarella cheese & chorizo 

served w/ green tomatillo salsa ...7.50 

Ensalada de la Casa ~  House salad served with mixed greens & house vinaigrette ... 6.25 

Ensalada de Mango ~  Fresh diced mango and jicama over mixed greens w/ raspberry vinaigrette ... 8.25 

Grilled Chicken and Corn salad ~  Served over mixed greens with house dressing ... 8.95 

Grilled Steak & Corn Salad ~  Served over mixed greens w/ mustard dressing ... 11.50 

Pozole... 9.75 

Hominy Corn stew served with your choice of chicken or shredded pork garnished with radish & oregano 

Pechuga de Pollo al Pipian... 12.95  

Chicken breast served in a traditional toasted pumpkin seed & tomatillo mole with your choice of rice & beans  

Tlacoyo deTres Marias... 10.95 

Hand formed corn masa”boat” stuffed with goat cheese, black beans & sun dried tomatoes served with rice & beans 

Grilled Steak ... 12.50 

Grilled skirt steak served with your choice of rice & beans 

Roast Pork ... 10.75 

Caribbean style shredded pork served w/ your choice of rice & beans 

Enchiladas de Mole Poblano ... 11.95 

Chicken enchiladas in our homemade chocolate-less mole poblano served w/ rice & beans 

Enchiladas estilo Norteno ... 11.95 

Grilled Steak enchiladas w/ spicy red ranchero sauce w/ rice & beans 

Enchiladas Suizas ... 11.95 

Grilled chicken enchiladas served in a creamy tomatillo sauce w/ rice & beans 

Pollo Mirador ... 12.95 

Sautéed chicken served in a roasted garlic sauce, served w/ spicy sautéed spinach & white rice 

Chuleta de Puerco a la Pimienta ... 12.95 

Grilled pork chop & goat cheese toast w/ our famous wild mushroom & chipotle “au poivre” sauce 

Mejillones con Coco ... 11.95 

Steamed farmed mussels served in a spicy coconut sauce 

Camarones al Ajillo ... 14.50 

Shrimp in spicy garlic sauce served with rice & beans 

Fish of the Day... P/A 

Please ask your about todays’s selection 

Cuban Sandwich ... 9.25 

Roast Pork, ham, Swiss cheese & pickles on pressed cuban bread w/ French fries 

Hamburger/Cheeseburger/Bacon Cheeseburger ... 7.95/8.95/9.95 

Served w/ lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles & French fries 

If you would like to substitute a salad, please add ... 1.50 

Black or Red Beans ... 2.95   White or Yellow Rice ... 2.95  

French Fries ... 2.95 Green or Red Salsa ... 1.25 

   Sweet Plantains ... 2.95 Tostones ... 2.95   

Corn Tortillas(3) ... 1.75   Spicy Sauté Spinach ... 4.95  

   

The original Café Habana still exists in downtown Mexico City, a busy luncheonette where 

in the 1940’s all the famous Cuban Musicians would hang out and share their meals BenyMore, Perez Prado, 

Toña la Negra. Memories of Cuba and Mexico  the sweet smell of home cooking and strong coffee.....enjoy!!

OK...so back to the story. This first couple bore me and I'm in a hurry for a cocktail. So i leave them to decide if they go with her suggestions or he just stands there hemming and hawing. In my head I'm screaming....go have the corn and sister you better dump this tool. 

Moving on...older couple. just passing RARE...she stops and says. hey...that's that burger place. He says. Yes. Lets go. 

Mind you this couple has lived a life. Perhaps in their 50's maybe 60's. He's carrying a case for a bass. she's fabulous with streaks of gray in her hair and wearing uggs. I picture them to be Harry and Mimi...or something cute and catchy. He calls her Mim's . She calls him you big ass, but he loves it and they have been holding hands for 40 years. 

Rare Bar and Grill

http://www.rarebarandgrill.com/

Rare at Bleecker Street...the one I go to. 
address: 228 Bleecker Street
@ 6th Ave & Carmine
phone: (212) 691-RARE (7273)
fax: (212) 691-7272
Our Murray's Cheese this week is 
Aged Cheddar
Special cheddar made in Vermont, made from jersey cow milk, aged for one year
They have these mini burgers that are almost too cute to eat. Almost as cute as Harry and Mimi. But you must savor each one. They change up the choices of the burgers...but I have yet to find a burger that i don't like. 
It's the meat...really really good meat. And yes, You can order it medium rare. I suggest you do since even then it's pretty darn rare.
Onion Rings are a must and a decent warm artichoke spinach dip. 
The best thing is the cheese..they use Murrays's Cheese.the Bleecker Rare is located down the street from the happiest place on earth. 
Murray's Cheese. 
Murray's is located on Bleecker at Corneilia. check the website below for the exact address. 
The story of how I fell in love with Murray. 
I have no idea who Murray is or if there is in fact a Murray. When I had my first job as a checker in Bohack's my manager called me Murray and if I had a dog I think I might name him Murray.  
Jen i and discovered Murray's before Finer Things. 
In fact it was cheese that became the start of Finer Things. 

Since our Tuesday nights are filed with ...classic rock and one or two customers on a slow night. We bring in things to entertain. And we eat. 
Jen started bringing cheese from Brooklyn. I would bring Bread from the upper east side. We would make a lovely spread of bread and cheese and grapes. Perhaps a lovely glass of house wine and it became the finer things. 
As we do like cheese...and not to take away from Brooklyn. It wasn't all that exciting. 
Jen says ...hey ya know there is that famous cheese place down the street. I say...well let's go. Just like Harry and Mim's
The next week we meet early and walk into a world of cheese. We take our ticket...love that they have tickets. I wish the world was on a ticket policy. 
Customer's wait more patiently when they know they have a number. It doesn't matter what number. They could pull 87 and the sign says now serving 9. They'll wait. 
We did...and then we had them give us a taste of the best cheese I have ever eaten. 

Ossau-Iraty Vieille
A raw, sheep's milk cheese with a thick, buff rind and  dense, ivory paste loaded with butterfat. This is also known at Murray's Cheese as Ossau Vielle Cave, Affinage
We get it every time we're there. Now the Cheese story gets better.One friday night I'm working at the bar. There's a table of 3 people in my section. I've seen them before. Very fun, good drinkers and better tippers. 
One guy has a T-shirt that on the back says . The Big Cheese. The front has a  Murray's logo. I ask...do you work at Murray's. My heart skips a beat. He says we all work at Murray's. I tell ya....it was love at first sight.  After me gushing about cheese for 10 minutes I buy them a round. 
Now cheese people...at least the one's I know. Are obsessed with cheese. I think there is such as thing as cheese master's. Cheese heads, cheese mongers, cheese whiz. the possibilities are endless. 
These folks know their cheese and it's serious cheese biz. 
Nate...the Big Cheese. turns out to be the manager. He tells me to look for him when I go in to Murrays and he'll take care of me. 
Never a good statement. When we have customers at the bar say that...it's always the kiss of death. It's the people that think they're big tippers but they get out a calculator and read every line of the check. Just split the damn thing and tip 20%. 
Well Nate is a big tipper. Not a check reader. And a nice guy.
Although the next few visits to Murray's he was no where to be found. Sadly we bought our cheese and full price...yet worth every penny. 
Then one friday night I'm running late to the bar. I call Eileen and tell her I'm a little late. She says...your friends from Murray's is here with about 20 people. They asked for you. 
Enough said. I jump in a cab...the excitement was overwhelming. I text Jen to tell her Murrays is here Murrays is here. 
I run in and see Nate and all the folks from Murray's, It's a going away party for Zoe...who was one of my orginal Murray customer's. She loves our bar. bless her heart. 
Nate is now made aware of my many visits and not seeing him. He picks up his phone and says ok what do you want. I stumble..and think real hard. Don't say pony. Then Nate cuts in and says oh i know you like that French sheep cheese. He tells the guy on the phone wrap up some bla bla bla...and a lb of bla and throw in some bla bla. 
I have no idea what he did but I heart Nate. He then tells me he needs to go, but asks that I take care of Zoe and a nice young man will walk in the door shortly with a bag of my cheese. 
We hug it out and Nate flys out the door like a super hero. The Cheese Man. 
Jen and I keep waiting for a guy with a bag. Finally he appears. Our doorman asks for $5 cover. I leap over and say...its' ok. he's with me. I know this man is scared to death...but then asks if I work here and if I'm Faith, I say yes. he hands over the bag...I buy him a Brooklyn Lager and it was the best night ever. http://www.murrayscheese.com/
http://www.murrayscheese.com/cheese_blog.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment